The University of Iowa Medical Lab Technician - Downtown Campus in Iowa City, Iowa
[ Medical Lab Technician - Downtown Campus
Posting ID 139552
Department DTH-Nursing Adm/UIHC Downtown Hospital
Jobcode Medical Lab Technician
Working Title Medical Lab Technician - Downtown Campus
This position will assist University of Iowa Health Care Medical Center Downtown location. This is
located at 500 E. Market Street, Iowa City, IA. This is a 194-bed hospital that became part of Iowa's only comprehensive academic health system on Jan. 31, 2024.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
May perform all levels of testing complexity and analysis on biological specimens to provide information used in the diagnosis, prevention or treatment of disease.
Utilize a variety of procedures that may involve numerous detailed tests and techniques that require the use of professional judgment.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis for all levels of testing complexity on laboratory clinical and research biological specimens such as blood, tissue and body fluids.
- Provide information to health care provider regarding test methodology and interpretation. Evaluate test results and provide support to Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS).
- Investigate quality assurance issues involving patient samples.
- Recommend corrective action for quality assurance.
- Calibrate, conduct routine maintenance and troubleshoot laboratory instrumentation.
- Seek technical direction from the MLS with specific instrumentation problems.
- Assist in reagent comparisons, evaluate results and recommend changes to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Participate in evaluation of equipment and recommend products for acquisition.
- Maintain inventory and orders supplies as needed.
- Comply with applicable regulatory and accreditation requirements of the laboratory section.
- Perform, record and review daily quality control associated with assigned testing.
- Document and report variances.
- Participate in the Quality Assurance program within the section. Identify opportunities for improvement for improvement and make recommendations for resolution of identified problems/errors.
- May assist with writing and revising laboratory procedures according to NCCLS guidelines.
- Assist in a positive and professional manner with bench training for the Clinical Lab Sciences Training Program within the section.
- Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the public
In addition to the duties and responsibilities noted above, the position description must include statements from
UI Health Care Core Values (ICARE) (https://medcom.uiowa.edu/theloop/employee_info/icare-core-values)
for Health Care positions or
Universal Competencies (https://hr.uiowa.edu/careers/competencies/universal-competencies)
for all other positions.
Allpositions must include a statement from the
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (https://hr.uiowa.edu/careers/competencies/universal-competencies/diversity-equity-and-inclusion)
Supervision is received from Medical Laboratory Scientist Supervisor, Assistant Laboratory Manager, Laboratory Manager, Laboratory Director, or other designated official.
Functional supervision may be exercised over support staff and students.
Certification or registration as a Medical Assistant or completion of a recognized one year Medical Assistant Program, or Completion of a health care profession program with a curriculum incorporating elements of a Medical Assistant program including but not limited to: pathophysiology, medical terminology, basic pharmacology and medication administration including dose calculation and psychology (include educational transcripts during application process)
- Public Contact/Customer Service
- Certified Medical Assistant is preferred.
ANNE BEYERINK Phone: 319-678-8134 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Instructions To apply send a copy of your resume and educational transcripts to email@example.com
Ad Start Date 01/30/2024
Ad End Date 04/29/2024 The University of Iowa prohibits discrimination in employment or in its educational programs and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply for all employment vacancies.