VWR CORPORATION Manager - Strategic Sourcing (US - Remote) in DES MOINES, Iowa
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Manage complex supplier portfolio worth in excess of \$250M of COGS.
- Negotiate supply contracts with selected suppliers to obtain best commercial and business conditions.
- Support company objectives and assist in maximizing gross margin through joint cooperation with production and marketing to negotiate and implement supply contracts with optimal conditions.
- Source lab supplies, lab equipment and instrumentation, chemicals, and life science products distribution and support our Avantor branded production facilities.
- Prepare bid packages and tender, analyze results, shortlist suppliers, conduct post tender negotiations and finalize contract.
- Work with Avantor Global Sourcing to consolidate and leverage global purchase requirements.
- Liaise with legal counsel to ensure contracts comply to legal standards and requirements.
- Conduct the annual price collection and negotiation program for contracts.
- Monitor performance.
- Analyze Spend Data and identify potential cost saving programs, develop these programs and drive them through execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Degree in business, supply chain, or other applicable field; advanced degree preferable
- 8+ years of applicable business experience
- 4+ years leadership experience
- Working experience in lab supplies industry, chemical research, chemical technology or pharmaceutical production, or in any kind of scientific field
- Industry purchasing experience in consumables, lab equipment, or chemicals such as raw materials and industrial packaging.
- Experience in tender business of commodities or raw materials/chemicals.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Strong Negotiation skills - Ability to negotiate assertively and effectively at all levels
- Understanding of the key aspects of Avantor business, economic factors and environment and the laboratory and production market in all market segments
- Strong project leader capabilities - ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Strong presentation skills and able to sell Avantor capabilities and expertise to suppliers
- Ability to organize, conduct projects and to analyze and solve issues at human, cultural and professional levels
- Basic knowledge about laboratory products and/or regulations.
- Pro-active and able to work individually, as well as, be a good team player
- Market intelligence of manufacturers of lab supplies, lab equipment or instruments or chemicals/reagents and chemical dealers
- An appreciation and knowledge of contract law and international trading
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be developed to resolve problems.
A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on routine basis.
Frequent travel required.
Minimal physical effort is required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position. Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
3rd Party Non-Solicitation Policy:
By submitting candidates without having been form lly assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.