BUNGE NORTH AMERICA INC Quality and Food Safety Manager in COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa
At Bunge, people don't just come here to work, they come here to grow - solving challenges that directly impact the world with a diverse team of thinkers and doers. Bunge offers a strong compensation and benefits package, vacation time and opportunity to progress. Most importantly, in all we do we live our values:
Act as One Team by fostering inclusion, collaboration, and respect
Drive for Excellence by being agile, innovative and efficient
Do What's Right by acting safely, ethically, and sustainably
The QFS Manager provides leadership and is responsible for supervising all quality, food and feed safety related matters for the facility. The role of Quality and Food Safety is to ensure that controls are in place to meet customer and regulatory requirements for the products produced.
The primary function of this position is to ensure the integrity and safety of food products throughout the manufacturing process utilizing various standards and established testing methods, operating procedures and adherence to protocols and policies.
The QFS manager is responsible for coordination and monitoring of work activities of associates and third parties engaged in performing chemical, physical and microbiological tests required for quality control of processes, environment, and products with an emphasis on safety and proficiency. This person will lead large projects/initiatives and serve on various cross-functional teams as they will interact with various internal and external groups including customers, suppliers, and auditors.
The scope of the following quality and food safety responsibilities correspond to Bunge facilities with multi-platform processing platforms and/or medium to high risk profile finished products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the plant QFS Policies and Procedures.
- Ensures that lab procedures conform to AOCS Official methods; trains personnel as required to maintain conformance
- Monitors lab results to ensure that raw products and finished products are within specification or resolves non-compliance issues with production and/or RandD personnel
- Compiles and analyzes test information to determine operating efficiency of processes or equipment and to work with Operations to diagnose malfunctions
- Works closely with scientists and/or engineers to develop and test custom products, and to also develop and analyze nonstandard tests for products
- Represents the company with on-site customer auditors, third party auditors, food safety inspection/audits and state/federal inspectors.
- Work with Plant QA/QC personnel and technicians and Production personnel to ensure customer expectations are met and plant inspections are executed according to plan.
- Maintain QC laboratory equipment calibrations and ensure procurement of all lab supplies.
- Review information from suppliers to assure proper product conformance, requirements and regulations.
- Manage the facility Food Defense Plan.
- Leads food Safety Team and works with Operations Manager in management of plant HACCP/ Food Safety Plan, including updates of documentation. Coordinates recall program including annual mock recalls (includes required traceability exercises).
- Conducts annual Food Safety GMP training of company employees and temporary workers.
- Coordinate plant sanitation program, including monthly internal sanitation inspections with Operations Manager. Make recommendations to other managers on sanitation issues.
- Serves as primary contact on all Lab Information Management System (LIMS, SAP, etc.) issues and inquiries.
- Ensure that customer complaints, concerns and/or inquiries receive adequate responses in a timely fashion.
- Use of TraceGains program, with the support of Corporate QFS, for the management of suppliers/vendors.
- Coordinate collaborative testing and check samples.
- Conduct regular assessment of QFA systems.
- Arrange for/conduct extern l and internal audits of the Food Safety Plan, as required.
- Directly supervises 4+ or more employees in the Quality Assurance department, including Asst. QFS Manager, Supervisors and/or Lab Technicians.
- Potentially manages other departments such as sanitation.
- Conducts timely coaching sessions and performance appraisals with staff
- Rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves issues as needed
- Manages and administers Safety Program to all Lab employees; Ensures compliance with all company policies, rules, and procedures
Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or Chemistry preferred.
Minimum 6+years of position related experience, or equivalent combo of education and experience level.
PCQI (Preventative Controls Qualified Individual) certification
Knowledge of FDA regulations and standards associated with food and feed manufacturing.
Practical experience in:
Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SAP and other technical software packages, as needed.
Demonstrate ability to work safe