B & G FOODS NORTH AMERICA East Room Foreperson - R3076 in Ankeny, Iowa
Ready to be part of something special? Join our Family!
BandG Foods Inc.
Job Title: Line Foreperson
Reports to: Production Supervisor. Takes operational direction from Line Support Foreperson.
FLSA Class: Non-exempt
Date revised: 1/09/2024
Assumes responsibility for coordinating work center operation and changeovers. Provides technical and directive leadership to packaging personnel assigned to their work center. Assists in developing and maintaining a strong training base throughout the packaging department. As a member and leader of the packaging line team this position is responsible for assuring and maintaining optimum safety, sanitation, quality and packaging standards through proper and consistent use of all available resources.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Assigns, monitors, coordinates, and directs the work of personnel assigned to their work center with guidance from operations management, that results in maximum safety, sanitation, product quality, and productivity.
- Responsible for assigned work center performance; monitors the set-up, operation, and adjustment of work center machines and equipment; monitors and maintains product quality on assigned line and makes suggestions to supervisor on ways to resolve production problems or to maximize and improve production methods.
- Investigates, troubleshoots, and corrects any issues resulting in production downtime.
- Provides direction and leadership at the filler to ensure efficient and effective changeovers. This includes looking up product ingredients and determining the most efficient clean out process.
- Effectively communicates information between shifts, within the packaging department and other assigned areas. Documents findings and communicates all equipment and production issues that require maintenance or improvement to the supervisor.
- Performs machine maintenance that includes, but is not limited to, machine changeover, re-time handling parts, clean labeler and sealer, adjust conveyor rails, adjust and change belts and brakes on machines, etc.
- Assists maintenance mechanic with machine repair or adjustments.
- Performs duties of Line Operator to ensure production goals are met. (See Line Operator job description for details).
- Responsible for accurate and timely completion of all work center documentation and record keeping functions.
- Provides training to increase the level of work skills of packaging employees assigned to their work center(s) using all available resources. This includes but is not limited to; training of new employees, training of existing employees, changeover training, ergonomics, HAACP and sanitation/GMP training. Sign off on work center employee training records.
- Instructs line personnel on how to minimize/decrease waste and downtime between and during production runs; ensures team members are cleaning and or receive training during unscheduled downtime.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the process text.
- Provides input that contributes to the development of new or existing packaging processes and procedures.
- Conducts required Operational Checks (daily and weekly) of production equipment in assigned work center and document findings.
- Directs team members in assigned work center(s) on bottle size changes. This includes, but is not limited to, assisting maintenance personnel, as directed by operations management.
- Demonstrates safe work practices (leads by example) and directs team members, as needed, to prevent on the job injuries by following all Company and OSHA safety regulations.
- Sets up production line prior to start of shift.
- Identifies and performs lock-out tag-out functions on the line.
- Assists the Working Foreman and Supervisor in organizing new or unusual line activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned not an essential funct on.
Has a critical role in assuring food safety and quality within the manufacturing environment by upholding food safety and regulatory policies and responsibilities.
Responsible for following cGMPs
Responsible for maintaining cleanliness and good housekeeping
Ensure all food safety and quality records are completed accurately and timely.
Follow all appropriate equipment cleaning procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have the ability to motivate, develop, and direct people as they work.
- Mechanical aptitude, which includes an understanding of machine operations and interactions and use of various tools and equipment, used to complete job responsibilities.
- Ability to assign, coordinate and monitor the work tasks of others.
- Knowledge of inputs, outputs, raw materials, waste, quality control, costs, and techniques for maximizing the manufacture of product.
- Must have good listening skills and possess the ability to verbally communicate so as to effectively convey information and ideas.
- Must have the ability to read and comprehend work related reading material.
- Knowledgeable of machine set up and ability to control the operation of machines and equipment and observe gauges, dials, or other indicators to assure the machine is working properly.
- Skill in troubleshooting and problem solving using logic and analysis to identify the problem, assess strengths and weaknesses of different solutions and identify lessons learned or redirect efforts.
- Possess team leadership skills to motivate and deal effectively with persons representing widely diverse backgrounds, interests, and points of view.
- Ability to use math operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide) to complete work tasks.
- Must possess organizational and time management skills when completing and assigning work tasks.
- Demonstrates high quality standards of workmanship and efficient line operation on a regular basis by observing and following Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provide leadership and training to line operators and coordination efforts within assigned work center. Observes and monitors the work of assigned line operators and provides direction were needed.
- Maintain effective communications with and is point of contact for line personnel with Working Foreman and supervisory staff.
- Models responsible behavior by maintaining good attendance, punctuality, initiative, and completing work tasks efficiently and safely.
- Employees are expected to work at other work centers where job qualifications allow.
- Actively participates in identifying and resolving production problems and improving work processes.
Posses a high school diploma or GED
Must meet established Work Keys testing parameters prior to being awarded the bid
If candidate is not already qualified as a Line Operator, they must pass an in-house Line Operator written exam within 30 days of starting the bid.
Candidate must be able to qualify as a Room Foreperson in 90 days of starting the bid. Qualification is based on work center performance during first 90 days on the job.
Candidate must be able to complete specific training on selected equipment t