Iowa State University Utility Electrical & Instrumentation Technician I in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Utility Electrical & Instrumentation Technician I
Required Minimum Qualifications:• High school diploma or GED. • Journey-level electrician with four years of experience in utility systems, industrial plant, process plant or power plant with electric motor controls and station power systems. • Including at least two years experience in electrical, electronic and/or pneumatic control systems; or Graduation from a two-year electrical or instrumentation and control program.
Preferred Qualifications:Preferred Qualifications:
Experience installing, maintaining, and repairing utility electrical systems.
Experience installing, maintaining, repairing and calibrating control system equipment.
Experience troubleshooting and maintaining control systems of boilers, generators, chillers and balance of plant equipment.
Experience troubleshooting and maintaining programmable logic control based systems.
The Facilities Planning and Management Department at Iowa State University is seeking applicants for a Utility Electrical & Instrumentation Technician I. Under general supervision works on motor starters, motor control centers, battery systems, instrumentation, and control systems. Installs, maintains, calibrates and repairs electronic, electrical, and pneumatic devices and systems.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT: Facilities Planning & Management (FP&M) is an organization that is dedicated to the maintenance and enhancement of Iowa State University, one of the nation’s leading educational and agricultural institutes. But more importantly, FP&M is dedicated to their employees and enhancing the lives of each team member through opportunities both professionally and personally. FP&M is one of the largest departments on campus and currently employs over 450 full-time employees and students combined.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Installs, maintains, and repairs utility electrical systems (generally less than 600 volts) including circuit breakers, motor starters, protection systems, motor control centers, conduit, cable tray, cable, and wiring.
• Installs and maintains safety systems including emergency lighting, fire alarm systems, uninterruptible power systems, station batteries, and utility communications systems.
• Installs, repairs, replaces and calibrates control system equipment and support systems including transmitters, valve actuators, recorders and other sensors.
• Assists with troubleshooting and maintenance of utility control systems including boilers, turbine generators, chillers, and water treatment systems.
• Assists with troubleshooting and maintenance of program logic controller (PLC) based auxiliary systems including material handling, ash handling, compressed air, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of utility systems and equipment.
• Knowledge of tools and methods necessary to troubleshoot and maintain electrical and electronic utility equipment.
• Knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques used in the electrical and instrumentation and control trades.
• Knowledge of the principles of electronics.
• Knowledge of and ability to interpret local, state, and national electrical codes.
• Knowledge of OSHA regulations and ability to comply with OSHA procedures.
• Ability to read and understand blueprints, control system drawings, and repair manuals.
• Ability to perform basic math computations.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to withstand constant high noise, dust, fumes, poor lighting and ventilation, and high temperature levels.
• Physical requirements: Must be able to move and lift at least 80 lbs.
• Must be able to climb stairs and work in an industrial environment.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae2) Letter of Application/Cover LetterIf you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.Why Choose ISU?Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)• Life insurance and long-term disability• Flexible Spending Accounts• Various voluntary benefits and discounts• Employee Assistance Program• Wellbeing program
Original Posting Date: September 22, 2022
Posting Close Date:October 9, 2022
Job Requisition Number:R9734