Iowa State University Plumber in Ames, Iowa
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Four years of experience in the trade, which may include an apprenticeship.
Preferred Qualifications:Licensed Journeyman Plumber.
Experience as a commercial plumber.
Experience performing other facilities maintenance work including basic carpentry, HVAC, electrical and/or general mechanical services.
The ISU Athletics Department is seeking Plumber applicants to join their facilities team who can apply knowledge and skill at the journey level to install and repair piping, fixtures, appliances, and apparatus related to gas, air, steam, water, drainage systems, and heating and cooling systems.
Responsible for the coordination and accomplishment of maintenance, installation, operations and modifications. Will utilize special tools, equipment, and processes to collect, perform initial diagnostics, and respond to data through established guidelines for preventive and predictive maintenance to ensure reliability. Must interact with FP&M and contractors on projects and will provide recommendations to the Athletics Department on plumbing projects to out-source.
Additionally, this position will perform various non-plumbing general facility maintenance work requests to support the department as needed. Team members work in a cross-functional role and must be willing to adapt to changing projects in order to meet priorities within the department. All team members are responsible for adhering to the rules and regulations of the department, University, Big 12 Conference, and NCAA.
Primary Work Schedule : Monday – Friday, approximately 7:30 am – 4:00pm (some flexibility setting start/end time).
This position will serve on-call approximately one week per month and occasionally serve as a facility technician during assigned home games which occur on evenings or weekends.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Installs and repairs sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters and softeners, garbage disposals, traps, valves, pumps, meters, coils, laboratory equipment, drains, including cleaning drains, and other related piping and equipment.
• Tests, installs, and maintains water distribution piping and control equipment, fire hydrants, backflow valves, and related distribution systems equipment.
• Draws layouts. Reads and interprets blueprints and drawings.
• Maintains records on equipment, inventory, and test reports on code compliant devices. Tracks materials and effort expended on each job assignment.
• May perform of the duties of Pipefitter or Insulator.
• Provide technical support to Area Mechanics or student workers.
• Responds to calls for emergency repair services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques, codes, OSHA rules, and safety precautions of the plumbing trade.
• Knowledge of laws, regulations, and codes relating to sanitation and repair of new and existing plumbing fixtures and systems and other apparatus.
• Knowledge of asbestos recognition and handling techniques.
• Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools of the plumbing trade safely and skillfully.
• Skill in performing maintenance, installation, and repair of plumbing apparatus.
• Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, and blueprints.
• Ability to maintain accurate records.
• Ability to routinely lift and move up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to use manual dexterity and eye coordination for repair tasks and ability to work in confined spaces.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume2) Contact information for 3 work referencesIf you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.Why Choose ISU?Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)• Life insurance and long-term disability• Flexible Spending Accounts• Various voluntary benefits and discounts• Employee Assistance Program• Wellbeing program.
Original Posting Date: October 26, 2023
Posting Close Date:
Job Requisition Number:R13319
By focusing on the future and providing the best student experience possible, Iowa State attracts students and faculty who want to make a difference. With a comprehensive land-grant mission of education, research, extension and outreach, we produce scholars whose ideas change the world. And through Innovate at Iowa State , we provide innovative and entrepreneurial opportunities for students of all backgrounds. Located just 30 minutes north of Des Moines, the city of Ames was recently named one of the Top 10 cities in the U.S. for campus life and career opportunities.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University's Principles of Community. (https://www.diversity.iastate.edu/connect/principles)
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com .
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485 . Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485 . TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942 .
General ISU compensation information can be found on the University Human Resources (https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation) website. Please note that this is only a list of ranges and individuals will be paid commensurate with qualifications.