Iowa State University Electrician II in Ames, Iowa
Position Title:Electrician II
Required Minimum Qualifications:• Requires State of Iowa Class A Journeyman Electrician license with at least four years as an apprentice plus two years of experience as a journeyman electrician; or State of Iowa Class B Journeyman Electrician license with eight years in the electrical trade in maintenance or construction. • Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet University’s Fleet Safety Program.
Preferred Qualifications:VFD experience, troubleshooting and installation
Lighting controls experience troubleshooting and installation
Motor control experience troubleshooting and installation
Experience with Building Automation systems ex Metasys
Commercial/industrial and three-phase electrical experience as an electrician.
Experience using electrical system testing and diagnostic equipment.
Experience installing and troubleshooting class 1 and class 2 electrical systems.
Experience working out of an aerial bucket lift
Facilities Planning and Management at Iowa State University is seeking qualified candidates for Electrician II position. Facilities Planning & Management (FP&M) is an organization that is dedicated to the maintenance and enhancement of Iowa State University, one of the nation’s leading educational and agricultural institutes. But more importantly, FP&M is dedicated to their employees and enhancing the lives of each team member through opportunities both professionally and personally. FP&M is one of the largest departments on campus and currently employs over 450 full-time employees and students combined.
Under general supervision, applies knowledge, skills and abilities at the journey level to install and repair electrical systems and equipment (generally less than 600V). Demonstrates Journeyman Electrician qualifications, training, experience and technical knowledge. Responsible for the coordination and accomplishment of maintenance, operations and modifications. Performs the duties peculiar to, and normally required in, the trade of electrician, following recognized procedures and techniques for such work. Utilizes special tools, equipment, and processes (such as insulation testers, thermal imaging cameras and Thermal/Infrared (TIR) Predictive Testing procedures) to collect, perform initial diagnostics, and respond to data through established guidelines for preventive and predictive maintenance to ensure equipment reliability.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs all duties listed under Electrician I.
• Installs, maintains, troubleshoots, repairs and replaces 600 volts and less electrical distribution systems and related equipment, including but not limited to main panel board control systems, programmable controls, solid state control systems, step up and down transformers, current and potential transformers, protective field devices, line monitoring equipment and VFD’s.
• Installs, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs control systems including lighting, programmable controllers, and building heating and cooling system programmable controllers.
• Performs preventive maintenance on electrical equipment systems and control systems.
• As required, will commission 600 volts and less electrical distribution systems and related equipment, and control systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
• Knowledge of safety precautions mandated by OSHA, NFPA, NEC and the EPA.
• Demonstrates all knowledge, skills, and abilities listed under Electrician I.
• Knowledge of electrical control systems, including variable frequency drives.
• Ability to use and interpret specialty tools and equipment used to troubleshoot electrical equipment and systems.
• Ability to plan and perform work involving the installation, modification, troubleshooting and repair of new and existing control systems and related equipment.
• Ability to work in all types of environmental conditions or in areas where there is exposure to excessive noise, dirt, and fumes and at elevated heights from ladders, scaffolds, or hydraulic lifts.
• Ability to work independently during normal work hours and after hours.
Number of Months Employed Per Year:12 Month Work Period
Time Type:Full time
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae2) Letter of Application/Cover LetterIf you have questions regarding this application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.Why Choose ISU?Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)• Life insurance and long-term disability• Flexible Spending Accounts• Various voluntary benefits and discounts• Employee Assistance Program• Wellbeing program
Original Posting Date: August 31, 2023
Posting Close Date:December 5, 2023
Job Requisition Number:R12842
By focusing on the future and providing the best student experience possible, Iowa State attracts students and faculty who want to make a difference. With a comprehensive land-grant mission of education, research, extension and outreach, we produce scholars whose ideas change the world. And through Innovate at Iowa State , we provide innovative and entrepreneurial opportunities for students of all backgrounds. Located just 30 minutes north of Des Moines, the city of Ames was recently named one of the Top 10 cities in the U.S. for campus life and career opportunities.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University's Principles of Community. (https://www.diversity.iastate.edu/connect/principles)
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email email@example.com .
If you have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515-294-4800 or Toll-Free at 1-877-477-7485 . Iowa State University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should email email@example.com or call (515) 294-4800 or Toll-Free: (877) 477-7485 . TTY users are welcome to use the Iowa Relay Service number by dialing 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2942 .
General ISU compensation information can be found on the University Human Resources (https://www.hr.iastate.edu/careers/compensation) website. Please note that this is only a list of ranges and individuals will be paid commensurate with qualifications.